By popular demand I've tried to make this tutorial 'Idiot proof' and have tried to think of every little detail. If anyone has any problems or can see away in which I could improve on it - please let me know.
1. To make sure you set off in the center of the 12"x12" card, first cut a piece of card 15.5 cm (6 1/8") square.
2. Draw two lines from the centres of the 12"x12" sheet of card.
========================================================3. Place your 15.5cm (6 1/8") square so that each corner touches the two disecting lines.
4. Mark each of the points, then draw a square from each of those points.
5. Measure 1.3cm (1/2 ") from the first square and draw another.
6. Join the lines at the corner to make small squares
This is probably the most complicated part of this tutuorial7. Decide at this point which is to be the top/bottom and which is to be the sides. Measure up 1.5 cm (1/2 ") from the inner square and draw a line. Measure out to the side 1cm (3/8 ") and again draw a line.
Top & Bottom Measure up from the center of the outer square 9.5 cm (3 1/2 ") and draw lines from the previous short one to reach a point.
Sides Do the same at the side but only measuring out 8 cm (3 1/8" )
8. The following two diagrams are your completed drawings (not to scale as I did them on the computer and had to fit them on A4 paper) The cut lines are in black, the score lines are in red.
9. Once you've cut this out you have your template. I don't mark the score lines as it's pretty obvious once the template is cut out.
10. Cut up one edge of the bottom square as this is tucked in to give neater and stronger finish.
11.Cut off the top two small squares. I've used a corner rounder on the top and bottom points and shape the sides slightly and the bottom edges of the flap. I also put a 6"x6" pad in the box so that I can press it together more firmly.
Most of you probably know this one - if you're using double sided tape to stick the box together, run a glue stick along the tape as it makes it repositionable for a while until you get it together neatly.
If you're going to decorate your box by stamping remember to stamp before fastening the box together (don't stick it first and then think about stamping as I tend to do)
I've been asked about the card I use to make the boxes - just ordinary bazzill cardstock works fine for me.
If you want to make a deeper box, just extend the second square a little.
Sadly I ran out of time and didn't have time to decorate a box for you, but I will add one when I do.
All I ask of you is to spread the 'word' and if you show one of these on you blog would you kindly link back to the link I am putting in the sidebar.
Also, please let me know when you've made a envelobox (Marcea's name for them - great one Marcea!!) I would love to pop along and have a look.